Monday 4 June 2012

The list of appliances we're planning on having on the boat is: Washer / Drier / Dishwasher / Microwave / Fridge / Freezer / ...to name but a FEW. Moored in a marina over the winter, it'll be great to have all these. We currently have a low wattage washer...about 600Watts...but to be honest, using it through the winter is hard work.....something bigger is required. But....something bigger....does not compute with daily life out of a marina. Most people run their washer/drier when the boat is under way. At that point the alternators are working hard to recharge/supply batteries. Microwave is for marina use only. Elec kettle and hairdriers...all marina use only. Freezer...marina use only. So why not get a 12V fridge you ask ? The price, I say. I MAY look for one on Ebay....but only if I find one which is 12V AND 220V. (or 3 way with gas is even better). I didnt enjoy having to keep my batteries charged to the max, all through winter, just because my wife wanted the freezer on, and it was ONLY 12V...meaning I couldnt flip it over to 220V if I had wanted to. An unneccesary headache. The big question is....will we be in a marina most of the time or cruising. The answer....truthfully....in the marina...because our son starts college in the area in Sept....BUT.....I hate being in a marina....the Bridgewater canal is near by, and I am VERY tempted to stay on the River Weaver for some time, and put him on a train each morning. (Easier said than done). Darn it. I am going to try and do this the 220V way. Lots of batteries. Spare generator. Solar panels when I can afford it. I dont care. You have to make a decision one way or the other and MOVE ON.....there are other reasons....I dont like all those low powered, high current cabling you need for 12V appliances. 220V cabling throughout. Simples.

No comments:

Post a Comment

UK Waterways Ranking